WAYNE, PA. -- Radnor Fire Company was dispatched three times Wednesday to handle mulch fires at three different commercial property locations in Radnor.
Engine 15 and six Radnor firefighters were dispatched at 1:31 p.m. Wednesday for a mulch fire in the 500 block of E. Lancaster Ave. in St. Davids. Again at 3:33 p.m., Engine 15 and Squad 15 responded with eight firefighters to St. Davids Park Drive and Iven Avenue for another mulch fire. And finally, at around 5 p.m., Engine 15 and Squad 15 were dispatched to the 700 block of E. Lancaster Ave., in Villanova for a mulch fire at a commercial property.
In all three cases, improperly discarded cigarette butts and high winds were the most likely cause of the fires. Residents, employees and commercial property owners in the area are reminded that proper cigarette disposal in designated receptacles is the easiest way to prevent these mulch fires.